The Improving Teacher Programme (ITP)
Designed by OLEVI and facilitated by experienced school leaders and teachers, the highly effective and motivating Improving Teacher Programme gives teachers, who want to improve their practice, a set of skills and strategies to reach the next teaching level. Utilised in the London and City Challenge Projects and endorsed by the National College, the ITP has gained a national reputation for raising standards in teaching and learning.
To enable teachers to:
- provide their students with the best possible learning experience
- improve standards in their classrooms and schools
- increase their job satisfaction and quality of experience
- work more effectively as active members of their school team
A key part of the OLEVI Teaching and Learning Portfolio of school-to-school support, which is helping to increase capacity and drive up standards in schools, the programme helps teachers deliver consistent high-quality lessons that have a positive measurable impact on student performance.
The Improving Teacher Programme:
- provides improving teachers with in-depth coaching, tailored to a self-assessment of their teaching. It provides opportunities to deepen their understanding of high-quality classroom practice and teaching and learning. Participants improve their teaching through facilitated practice, observation of colleagues and working with ‘live’ students
- supports a wider range of teaching activities, including: planning lessons, starter activities, plenary sessions, questioning techniques, engaging in learning, challenging learning, assessment and differentiation strategies
- supports the aims and implementation of school improvement plans and other national agendas
- forms part of the professional development provision or entitlement for staff development within the school’s improvement plan
- builds confidence of staff to become used to class observations and adopt a positive “can do” attitude.
This programme is open to all teachers who want to improve their teaching practice and want to learn how to teach and facilitate consistently good lessons matching theory with application.
The OLEVI Improving Teacher Programme is having a significant impact on the performance of teaching staff and students in schools. For example, one primary school made so much progress on the programme that 46 students from a nearby primary applied to transfer to it. Feedback is very positive. One teacher remarked:
“It has completely transformed my life, both in and out of the school and that of my students.”
“We believe the impact of the programme has been hugely significant in raising the standard of teaching and learning within our school. Our latest Ofsted reported: ‘Outstanding teaching in the vast majority of lessons is the key to pupils’ high achievements. Teaching typically enables all groups of pupils to make excellent progress in their learning and behaviour’. All recently qualified teachers take part in the ITP as part of their ongoing training, even if their teaching is consistently judged to be good or outstanding. It is seen as an opportunity to share good practice and learn from other settings.”
Alison Beane, Executive Headteacher, Mary Rose Academy.
“The programme made me think about every lesson in a slightly different light, focusing on what is actually important: Are the pupils engaged? Are they challenged by the activities? Can you assess their progress? It was not extra work for teachers or just another hoop to jump through, but a way of thinking that is beneficial to any, or all lessons. It was so enjoyable.”
David Sauder, Ashton on Mersey School, Manchester
The programme consists of 6 x 1/2 day facilitated sessions over a six week period. Ideally, secondary schools would need to release three teachers as learning takes place in threes; primary and special schools may prefer to release one teacher as learning 3s can come from cluster schools.
The work of these teachers is supported by a coach at each school who attends the first and final session and supports the teachers’ progress through the programme in their schools. This is an important coaching role that is pivotal to the success of the delegates.
RRP £575 (+or-5% excluding VAT) per delegate.
Please click to download ITP Flyer