The Advanced Power of Coaching (APOC)
The Advanced Power of Coaching explores the theory and skills behind effective coaching and develops a greater understanding of how coaching can be used with students and colleagues in every-day situations. Delegates acquire advanced skills and strategies to continue their coaching development and reach the next level towards their coaching accreditation.
The Advanced Power of Coaching programme forms part of the OLEVI Teaching & Learning, Leadership and Coaching Syllabus, which has gained a national reputation for raising standards in teaching and learning, and is a key part of the OLEVI portfolio of school-to-school support.
The Advanced Power of Coaching (APOC) programme will:
- Deepen understanding of the theory behind coaching, enabling delegate to maximise the effectiveness of coaching and ensure success when they are coached following attendance of the Power of Coaching.
- Increase the teaching and learning tool kit with coaching strategies and approaches designed for students.
- Give a heightened awareness of delegate’s own coaching strengths and areas for development with a clear way forward.
- Build confidence to lead coaching groups.
This highly effective coaching programme is a key part of our Coaching Accreditation Process and is designed to maintain success and development in schools. An effective coaching ethos that is truly embedded in an organisation, strengthens effective leadership and grows the quality of teaching and learning.
In addition the APOC provides:
- Specific and advanced effective coaching tools that delegates can tailor and develop to enhance their own practice.
- A forum to work collaboratively with colleagues giving delegates the opportunity to facilitate their ideas and establish networks to continue to practice and develop their coaching skills
- Effective coaching strategies can be designed, implemented and embedded in schools, providing delegates with an advanced awareness of this process and their responsibilities within it. Highlighting how they will utilise their knowledge and expertise of coaching to work with colleagues in formal and informal situations.
- Colleagues with the understanding and range of models for effective coaching systems. More experienced coaches ensure the impact of each session is maximised in this way.
Who is eligible to attend the APOC programme?
This highly effective coaching programme is open to anyone who has completed the Power of Coaching Train The Trainers, or Power Of Coaching within the Outstanding Teacher Programme (OTP), and wants to develop and grow their coaching skills and knowledge to drive their school forward. Delegates moving towards being an accredited OLEVI Professional Coach (OPC) will need to have completed the APOC first.
What impact does the programme have?
The Advanced Power Of Coaching is dramatically improving the professional performance of coaching delegates and, in turn, those individuals they are responsible for. Many schools are now creating formal effective coaching structures within departments and across federations. Coaching sessions are being given the recognition they deserve as their impact on teacher and student development becomes more evident. Moreover, high-quality coaches also seek out opportunities to develop colleagues in more informal situations, and, even though these corridor conversations are less structured, the resulting actions can be equally powerful. Therefore, the more we coach others and receive quality coaching, the more the ability to self-coach becomes manifest. This approach helps individuals to analyse issues and opportunities in new ways and reflect on the most suitable course of action.
“The programme developed my coaching skills further. I am already well versed in the models for the Power Of Coaching and use them almost daily within my school. The Advanced Power Of Coaching compounded what I already use; extended my thinking with regards to some new models; and will enable me to articulate what I know to others who have a lesser understanding of effective coaching. This is an essential skill to get right so that those being coached can work through something effectively using the tools we have been given and skills we have developed.”
Rebecca Cox, Headteacher, Lutley Primary & Principal of Hales Valley Teaching School
“Investment in effective coaching has been a crucial part of the successes achieved by The Pioneer Academy schools. Coaching has united staff at all levels, opening up valuable communication channels that improve the quality of teaching and learning. It opens up a state of mind where learning and progression is key.”
Lee Mason-Ellis, Executive Head, Stewart Fleming Primary School
How long is the programme?
This 2.5 day programme consists of an initial 1.5 days, with a 4-6 week period of intersession activity, followed by 1 final day. It is preferable that two colleagues go through the Advanced Power Of Coaching together, this makes the intersession activity much easier to organise, complete and measure. If schools would like to send colleagues from within partnerships and alliances, colleagues may support each other in a similar way.
Delegates will require the opportunity to coach and be coached by colleagues during the intersession activity, this sometimes involves a little release time depending on timetables but mainly is carried out in the delegate’s own time.
£475 (excluding VAT) per delegate.
Please click to download APOC Flyer